Are you tired of living in a crowded city with the honking of the vehicles and harsh sounds of the machineries? Are you planning to take a recreational break from a tight-scheduled everyday life to escape the hustling and bustling city? I am sure that your answer is a big “YES!” and let me assure you that Nepal is a perfect destination. Nepal is a boon for the trekking enthusiasts who love experiencing off the beaten path trekking to high Himalayas. Off the beaten path Nepal treks take you to the desolate destinations where you can just reflect on yourself.
Makalu region provides you off the beaten path trekking Nepal for refreshing your mind and recharging your body. Makalu region lies about 22 kilometers southeast to Mount Everest, the highest peak of the world and close to Kanchenjunga region. Makalu region trekking rewards you with the majestic sight of the gigantic peaks of Makalu Everest region in the eastern Nepal. Trekking to Makalu region shows you the Rai and Sherpa villages, their culture and ancient monasteries replicating Buddhist religion.
Makalu region trek starts from Hile, Dhankuta which you can reach by a flight to Biratnagar and then roadway transportation. But, if you want to start via Tumlingtar, Sankhuwasabha, you must catch a domestic flight from the Kathmandu Airport. Trek to Makalu region is a blend of both natural beauty and cultural diversity which really gives you sheer excitement. Makalu Base Camp trek is completely teahouse trekking whereas Makalu Everest Base Camp trek is combination of teahouse and camping trekking.
Named after the fifth highest peak of the world, Mt. Makalu, the topography of Makalu region extends between 850m and 8,468m. As Makalu region elevation, so is the variation in climate that you can experience from sub-tropical to alpine vegetation and wildlife. One among Nepal trekking destinations, Makalu region contains Makalu Barun National Park and Conservation Area preserving diverse flora and fauna. Established in 1992 and extended within 2,330 km2, Makalu Barun National Park is the eighth national park of Nepal.
Makalu peak trek familiarizes you with the dense forests, lush valleys and captivating landscapes including snowy peaks of Makalu reigon. Mt. Chamlang and Mt. Baruntse are the major snow-clad peaks after Mt. Makalu adding to the beauty of Makalu region. Typically rustic villages of Rai, Limbu, Sherpa and Chhetri ethnic communities are also attractions of Makalu Barun trek. Arun valley trek awards you with the amazing view of the eight-thousanders and other peaks like Mt. Ama Dablam. Mt. Everest, Mt, Kanchenjunga, Mt. Makalu, Mt. Lhotse and Mt. Cho Oyu glittering in the sunshine are just superb!
There are many trekking trails to explore the natural assets like pasture lands, landscapes and cultural characteristics of Makalu region. Makalu Base Camp trek, Arun valley trek and Makalu Three High Pass trek are the most popular Nepal trekking routes. Makalu Base Camp trekking is recognized for sunrise and sunset view from the Makalu Base Camp elevation 4,870m (15,978ft). Arun valley trek leads you to Everest region through Jiri Lukla trekking route crossing Salpa Pass (3,173m). Makalu High Pass trek crosses Sherpani Col, West Col and Amphu Lapsta Pass, a adventurious pass in the Nepalese Himalayas.
Makalu Base Camp Trek
Makalu Base Camp trek moves along Makalu Barun National Park giving you the glimpses of rare plant, bird and animal species. The trail of Makalu Base Camp trekking is one of the least crowded trekking trails in the Nepalese Himalayas. Rai, Limbu, Sherpa and Chhetri ethnic communities with their unique culture and tradition are the major dwellers of Makalu Barun region. You can find Makalu Base Camp trek itinerary from 21 days to 28 days depending upon the acclimatization days.
Arun Valley Trek
Arun valley region is one of the world’s deepest Himalayan valleys; located between magical Makalu region and gigantic Everest region. Makalu Arun valley trekking grants you the splendid sight of wild animals like snow leopard, red pandas and so on. During Arun valley Lukla trekking, you have to cross some important passes like Shipton’s pass, Keke La Pass besides Salpa Pass. Arun valley trek is completely a teahouse trekking offering you the local organic cuisines served with the best hospitality. You can also find some homestay facilities, one of the golden opportunities to be familiar with the local culture, tradition and lifestyle en route Arun valley hiking.
Makalu Three High Passes trek
Makalu Three High Passes trek is the mixture of teahouse trekking and camping trekking in Makalu Everest region. One of the most challenging treks in Nepal, this trek grants you a lifelong experience of off the beaten path trekking Nepal. Makalu Three Cols trek offers you the noble idea of crossing Sherpani Col (6,180m), West Col (6,190m) and Amphu Lapsta Pass (5,850m). Sherpani West Col trek is completely a Nepal technical trekking because you must use rope and handlines to climb up these cols. So, previous trekking experience is always fruitful to complete Amphu Lapsta Pass Chhukung trekking to reach Everest region.
Amphu Lapsta Everest Base Camp trek facilitates a magnificent outlook of the snowcapped peaks in the Makalu and Everest region. You can reach Everest Base Camp(6,364m) to keep the record that you have once been closest to Mt. Everest. Trekking to Kala Patthar is one of the most important moments in your whole life for the incomparable achievement. You can capture the photographs by keeping Mt. Everest and other snowy peaks on the background as a long-lasting reminiscent. Lukla Kathmandu scenic flight gives you the best picturesque appearance of Himalayan glaciers, snowy peaks, lush valleys and wonderful landscapes. Although it is quite challenging to cross three high passes of Makalu region, the trekking is really rewarding and memorable!
- Experience of off the beaten path trekking Nepal to avoid the hustling and bustling city life
- Knowledge of the mixed topographical variation from sub-tropical to alpine zone within a single trekking region
- Diverse species of birds, butterflies, animals and plants in Makalu Barun National Park
- Typical villages of Rai, Limbu, Chhetri and Sherpa ethnic communities maintaining their unique culture and tradition
- Beautiful sunrise and sunset views from Makalu Base Camp
- Homestay facilities during Arun valley trek
- Stunning panorama of the five eight-thousanders: Mt. Everest, Mt. Kanchenjunga, Mt. Lhotse, Mt. Makalu and Mt. Cho Oyu
- Crossing three technical high passes of the Nepalese Himalayas including AmphuLapsta, a dangerous pass in high Himalayan region
- Captivating sight of the mountain giants of the Everest region including Mt. Everest, the world’s highest peak from Everest Base Camp
- 360-degree picturesque outlook of snowcapped peaks in the Everest region from Kala Patthar, the best view point of the Everest region
- Scenic flight from Lukla to Kathmandu witnessing the Himalayan glaciers, captivating landscapes, high altitude human settlement areas of the Khumbu region
Unique Features of Makalu Region Trekking:
- Tumlingtar, only one trekking region in Nepal having Kumal ethnic community conserving their traditional culture, lifestyle, jewelry and dress
- Simpleminded local ethnic communities regarding “Visitors as Gods” unlike business-minded people in other regions of the country
- Homestay facilities en route Arun valley Lukla trekking which help you be familiar with the local people, lifestyle, culture and tradition
- Least visited trekking trails by the foreign trekkers, so, unspoiled natural beauty and culture untouched by modernity
- Trekking route that leads you through two regions: Makalu region and Everest region which is very much popular due to Mount Everest
High Pass Gears:
- Four seasons Sleeping bag (Optional/we can provide one if you do not have on your own and it is to be returned after the trek.
- Duffel or Rucksack bag to keep your all the gear and this will be carried by the porters.
- Daypack for yourself
- A down Jacket
- Shade hat
- Warm wool hat to cover your ears
- A pair light weight warm gloves.
- T-shirts 2- 3 pieces
- Light weight thermal tops.
- Fleece jacket.
- Fleece Wind-Stopper jacket (optional).
- A pair’s nylon hiking shorts quick drying one
- Two pairs lightweight long underwear.
- Two pairs trekking pants, preferably that zip on/off at the knees so they double as shorts
- Four pairs of liner warm socks
- A pair light to medium weight water proof hiking/trekking boots.
- A pair light trekking shoes for camp/lodges
- A pair sandal (Optional)
- A water bottle.
- Head/torch Light.
- First Aid Kits
- Extra Strength Excedrin for altitude related headaches.
- Ibuprofen for general aches and pains.
- Immodium or Peptobismol capsules for upset stomach or diarrhea.
- Diamox 125 or 250mg tablets for altitude sickness.
- 1 small personal sized first-aid kit with blister treatments such as mole skin, band-aids, some waterproof tape, anti-infection ointments, etc.
- Passport and extra passport photos (4 copies)
- Durable wallet / pouch for travel documents, money & passport.
- Lip balm. At least SPF 20, 2 sticks.
- Sun’s cream with SPF 40 is recommended
- Pocket knife.
- Water purification Iodine tablets
- Toiletry kit and be sure to include toilet paper stored in a plastic bag, hand wipes, and liquid hand sanitizer, towel, soap, etc.
To calculate the budget for Makalu region trek:
Makalu region trekking cost depends upon the package you have booked from Orbit Alpine Adventure. The longer the package; the higher the cost and vice versa! For Makalu region trek customized package and the reasonable cost, you can contact Orbit Alpine Adventure.
Foods found during Makalu region trek:
Most of the food items in Makalu region are local and organic. If you are using homestay facilities, you must eat the food items cooked and consumed by the hosts. The local organic cuisines: Dal, Bhaat, Tarkari, Achar and even Boiled Potatoes including spicy soup are really fine and energetic. If you are staying in a teahouse, you can find typical Nepali cuisines and some continental dishes like Chinese and Thai. Even non-veg items are available in the teahouses, but you had better not take these items as they may not be fresh! During Makalu Three High Pass trek between Makalu Base Camp and Chhukung, camping trekking is the only option you have. Therefore, your camping crew will prepare the dishes as per the menu they have. All the camping equipment, food items and other necessary things should be carried by the crew members.
Currency (Cash or Credit card):
You have to take cash in hand as there are no ATM booths and banking institutions in most of the trekking route. Nepalese Rupee is the only currency that are accepted by the local teahouses and groceries to buy the necessary things.